PORTOFINO SOUTH LANDSCAPE COMMITTEE
MEETING JUNE 22,2010
- FORMAL EXPRESSION OF THANKS TO RANDY KIRK FOR HIS HARD WORK AND IMAGINATION IN IMPROVING THE APPEARANCE AND ATTRACTIVENESS OF THE BUILDING OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS.
- WHO ARE WE AND WHAT ARE OUR OBJECTIVES? THE COMMITTEE WAS ORGANIZED BY THE BOARD TO ASSIST IT IN MAINTAINING AN ATTRACTIVE AND NEAT PROPERTY WHILE MAXIMIZING THE QUALITY OF LIFE OF THE RESIDENTS. A DRAFT MISSION STATEMENT IS ATTACHED.
- FINANCIAL RESOURCES: THE BUILDING HAS IN ITS BUDGET $2,500 FOR PLANT REPLACEMENT, HOWEVER, THESE FUNDS ARE EARMARKED FOR RECTIFYING HURRICANE DAMAGE. ACCORDINGLY THEY ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR GENERAL USE AND ONLY BOARD APPROVED EXPENSES CAN UTILIZE THESE FUNDS UNTIL LATE IN THE YEAR WHEN WE WILL HAVE A CLEAR PICTURE OF DAMAGE, IF ANY.
THE BALANCE OF CASH CONTRIBUTIONS BY RESIDENTS AT THIS TIME IS $690.45. WE NEED TO SETTLE ON STRATEGIES TO ENHANCE THESE FUNDS. IDEAS MIGHT INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- A general solicitation
- Swapping certain existing plant and tree assets for more appropriate ones.
- A cocktail party and plant auction.
- Charging/suggesting a donation for babysitting plants.
- Specific targeted requests such as a Gazebo in the trees east of the pool, or activities (croquet pitch, putting green, lawn bowling, badminton, horseshoes, others), or trellis- covered parking for currently open spaces, or other special projects.
- Long term examine city/state/federal grants available to condominiums for green programs, energy saving initiatives, and resource preservation or recycling.
- SELF SUFFICIENCY: WE SHOULD RELY ON INTERNAL RESOURCES WHERE POSSIBLE AND THIS WOULD MEAN UTILIZING PLANTS WHICH RESIDENTS NO LONGER WANT, PROPOGATING NEW PLANTS FROM EXISTING PLANTS ON THE PROPERTY, GROWING NEW PLANTS FROM SEEDS, AND SEEKING PLANT DONATIONS FROM FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS.
- PRIORITIZE OUR ACTIVTIES.
CLEAN UP THE ROUGH EDGES OF OUR EXISTING LANDSCAPE
ADD COLORFUL SMALL PLANTS IN VISABLE AREAS
SOLUTION FOR DEAD GRASS
PLUG HOLES IN HEDGES AND TRIM TO MEET CODE
PROVIDE REWARDING ACTIVITIES FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO PARTICIPATE
TO DO/CONSIDER LIST
- Fill holes in hedges along front of building.
- Rescue red begonias and transplant.
- Consider plantings (bougainvillea?) along wire on the north fence.
- Review health of the ficus trees and consider having them trimmed.
- Review fertigation of plants and hedges.
- Manicure trees along entry walkway
- Gardenia tree and sick neighbor
- Whose responsibility are the trees along the street on both sides?
- West walls of both lots across the street might benefit from plantings.
- Police garbage in far lots. Reported to Sarah 6/20.
- Fallen concrete along the south wall needs to be picked up and disposed of.
- Close hole in trees at southeast end of fence with barbed wire.
- Combination locks for gates and bike room. Spoke to Sarah.
- Space utilization on top of covered parking.
- Plant covered additional covered parking
- Concrete wall mural painting
- Victory garden with fruit trees
- Eliminate certain messy trees and other invasive plants.
- Fire Dept. requires hedge by hose connectors to be trimmed or taken out.
- Ginger by back door to be taken out.
- Plug the hole in the hedge along the building wall.
- Replace ginger with ground cover.
- Trim palms along exit from the building to at least eye level.
- Relocate fishtail palms obstructing view of ground floor apartments.
- Low, colorful plants for curved boarders of the grass.
- Ground cover for the circles around the two big palms.
- Same for the 6 lights and 16 palms along the walkway towards Flagler.
- Relocate fishtail palms.
- Take down walking bird of paradise
- Consider recommending to the board trimming the Ficus trees.
- Plant small, non-palm trees (lemon, lime, grapefruit, avocado).
- Replace dead grass in curved spaces with purple lantana.
- Make planting beds around green square and include a red brick boarder.
- Define a consensus regarding the palm trees.
- Planters around pool area?
- Wire trellis around metal light posts for vines.
- Discuss umbrellas or shade covering for the lounging chairs and tables.
- Build a simple nursery at the SW end of the lawn.
- Plug holes in the hedge along Flagler.
- Project pumpkin. Encourage experimentation- daylilies, lily of the valley, etc.
- Consider changing the grass to paspallum.
- Build a Gazebo in the old children’s pool area.
- Review possible activities on the lawn: croquet, golf, badminton, lawn bowling, other.
- Consider a formal garden at the east end of the lawn.
- Benches under the ficus trees.
- Build a functional herb garden for the use of the residents.
IT IS THE MISSION OF THE LANDSCAPE COMMITTEE TO ASSIST THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS IN MAXIMIZING UNIT VALUES AND QUALITY OF LIFE IN THE PORTOFINO SOUTH COMMUNITY BY MAINTAINING A NEAT AND ATTRACTIVE ENVIRONMENT AROUND THE BUILDING AND ITS AMENITIES, AVOIDING THE STERILE, OVERLY MANICURED APPEARANCE OF SOME NEIGHBORING CONDOMINIUMS, AND USING IMAGINATION AND ENERGY TO CREATE AN ENVIRONMENT WHICH PROVIDES ACTIVITY AND ENJOYMENT TO ALL WHO CARE TO PARTICIPATE.